- Functions as a multi-T1 IAD, 1/0 DACS, NxT1 Inverse Multiplexer, ISDN switch, IP router, and Frame Relay concentrator/switch
- Switchboard supports circuit switching applications such as intelligent call routing , overbooking and least-cost routing based on phone numbers in the dial plan
- Includes IP routing software with support for PPP and Frame Relay Layer 2 protocols
- 6-slot modular platform
- Two network interface slots (one T1/PRI module included with base unit), four user slots
- Supports up to 18 T1/PRI ports
- Maximum backplane bandwidth for TDM applications is nine T1s through the chassis (18 physical T1 ports)
- Hot swappable modules
- 10/100BaseT Ethernet LAN interface for SNMP/Telnet management and routing
The ATLAS 550 is an Integrated Access Device designed to improve and lower the costs of voice/data, video, and Internet communications for enterprise businesses and network service providers. With the ATLAS 550, many WAN functions have now been merged and combined into a small, economical, modular platform that will replace a rack of traditional single function access devices. With the ATLAS 550, traditional multiplexed and packet networks are easier to deploy and manage while providing more bandwidth efficiency out of existing or new communications links. The ATLAS 550 provides a new level of communications flexibility by offering many of the features previously found in larger central office, PBX, or router equipment.
The ATLAS 550 chassis includes a high-speed multi-protocol backplane and six modular expansion slots: two network inter-face slots and four user interfaces slots. A wide range of hot-swappable, industry-standard modules are also available to effectively converge your telecommunications and your existing network systems, such as routers, PBX, key systems, video conferencing equipment, remote access servers, LANS, faxes, and tele-phones.
The ATLAS 550 will typically reside at a customer site and perform the functions found in multi-port multiplexers, channel banks, 1/0 cross connect switches, Frame Relay access devices/concentrators/switches, IP routers, and ISDN switches. It also includes an integral voice switchboard and dial plan for dynamically and intelligently switching voice and data calls based on the telephone number dialed. ATLAS 550 supports multiple network technologies including T1/FT1 DSX-1, ISDN, FXS, FXO, V.35 and 10/100 Ethernet and is designed to be used for more cost-effective T1, ISDN or Frame Relay networks. With the modularity of ATLAS 550, users can now support up to 10 FT1s and run traditional switched or multiplexed voice/data traffic, ISDN, or packetized Frame Relay. Users can also run a hybrid mix of network architectures that will make it easier to evolve network systems and applications.
For example, using intelligent call routing and an optional voice compression module, users can simultaneously support toll grade voice calls and compressed voice over Frame Relay, all dynamically switched between PBXs, key systems, and the public network. For configuration and troubleshooting, the ATLAS 550 includes LEDs for complete opera-tional status indications, front and rear VT100 craft interfaces for terminal or dial-in access, alarm contacts, and a 10/100 Ethernet LAN connection for SNMP and Telnet.